Friday, June 29, 2012

Northern Delicacy Down South




How can you miss these blatantly bright goodies?


                 My first taste of this delicacy of the north wasn’t here in LB and it was nothing less than authentic. It wasn’t as brightly tinted though for my first wasn’t orange at all. I had it at the Secret Garden in Vigan, Ilocos Sur during our Humanities 2 field trip in that region. The experience was very memorable. I and my friend sneaked beyond the allowed perimeter with the help of a very kind kutsero who took us to places the rest of the students were not able to visit, the Secret Garden being one of them. I have a penchant for deep fried goodies paired with vinegar dipping so when our unofficial tour guide asked if we would like to taste what he thinks is the best empanada in the area I just went for it. I wasn’t so surprised when I enjoyed my first tryst with this crisp delight, greasy, smelly fingers and all. I promised it won’t be the last time I’ll have it but it was just not very easy to find it in Cubao or the rest of QC. I had even less luck in LB---until recently. Imagine my delight when I found not one but two shops that sold it in LB upon my return.  


Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters no less.

              
            I have to be honest that I didn’t really pay much attention to the name of the establishment the first time I went here. Blame it on the less than eye-catching piece of tarpaulin that held the name or the brightness of the color of the empanadas that was shared by the arch of the door or maybe blame it on my excitement. The name just didn’t seem to matter. The seating area is humbly furnished, with all the carinderia necessities. They can do better, I know, but I didn’t mind then and I still don’t at present after countless visits. I chose Kasuy’s over the other shop in front of the late Barracks Computer Shop because of the seating area and the notion that holes in the wall I fondly call Grove’s platform nine-and-three-quarters hold a certain kind of surprise within them, pleasant or otherwise. 

At this point I really wished I had a better camera with me.

And surprised I really was. The first bite transported me to the Secret Garden. It reminded me of the goodness I thought I’ve already forgotten. The shell was crisp and hot and the moment you dig your fork into it the steam gives you a waft of the Vigan longganisa crushed and mixed with shredded papaya and mung beans and an egg that was cracked just before the whole ensemble was sealed into its shell and sent to its boiling grease bath. Empanadas they serve are always piping hot and always paired with genuine sukang Iloco. If your timing’s right, you’d be able to sample the freshly cooked ones with the egg yolk still oozing by the time you split it into half, Vigan empanada at its best. If you’re still in doubt of the authenticity of what they serve, the manong that mans the place would sometimes play Ilocano pop songs and even sing to tunes while making the empanadas. And that, my friends, is the mark of authenticity not so easily faked.

No comments:

Post a Comment